Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Woodpecker







Bill had said he had heard a banging noise outside a couple of days ago, when he looked he had seen a woodpecker pecking away at the hole of one of the tit boxes we have on the various trees around the garden.


I was busy upstairs this morning when I heard a noise outside-luckily I had the camera in the next room.

The picture is not clear-I was quite a distance away , in the upstairs bedroom ,
from the old cherry tree where the bird box is.I couldn't open the window in case I scared him off, but we watched as the woodpecker chipped away at the entrance of the box until he was able to fit into it-as soon as he did he proceeded to throw all the old nesting material out.
It really seemed to upset all the small birds and they constantly buzzed him-blue tits, great tits and blackbirds all kept flying close to him as if trying to get him away.
After he had cleared that box he flew onto the birch tree bird box and started working on making that hole bigger.Im not sure what he will do now he has cleared the boxes-will he be looking at nesting in them next year?

No comments: