Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bevs Painting day







































































Ive spent a lovely few hours with one of my students Bev. Bev has been to a few classes with me now and has carried on painting at home as well--even going on to teach her son Tim (who has been to 2 classes) a few new paintings.
Bev wanted some advice on how best to tackle a painting she wanted to paint from a photograph of one of her favorite places Lake Vyrnwy.
She bought along the photos today and we discussed the pros and cons of different methods-
in the end she did some under painting with black acrylic paint and used oils on the top.
It didn't take long before the picture took shape.
She made a beautiful job of blending the paint on the hills-she captured the light and shadows easily.
The dark trees came about after using a 'bashing' brush to create texture and she used a small brush to add detail.
It was a first for me today as I opted not to actually paint a canvas myself--I didn't feel there was any need for me to do so--I knew Bev knew all the strokes we used in class-and really only needed a bit of back up of her own confidence as much as tuition.

She made most of the decisions herself and needed little prompting from me.
The water tower in the lake was properly the hardest part of the pic,and that turned out ok after a bit of careful blending and darkening of the shadows.
After she had finished I showed her the wonders of encaustic art--she loved it! As do most people who have a go at it!
She couldn't believe how quickly it came together.
When she had a go she soon created an undersea scene complete with moray eel peeping out of the seaweed.

No comments: