Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Gizmo and Smokey- Bath Time!





My two old ladies Gizmo and Smokey are over 20 years old now- considering they live on quite a busy road they have done very well to make it so far!
They live with my son at my old house--I flew the nest instead of the kids when I married my Bill!
Well last week I realised they had got fleas-so after getting them a new flea collar each and spraying the whole house with flea killer I thought the problem was solved. They hadnt been scratching at all and their coats are so thick you couldnt see the fleas.
I thought I would bath them to get the flea dirt out of their coats as they don't seem able to keep themselves as well groomed as they did.
So off we went to bath them--loaded with baby bath and some towels.
When we got Gizmo into the water we realised the problem was not completely solved, there were still some live fleas on her. So much for flea collars!
I quickly sent Bill to vets to get some frontline drops to put on them both .
They seemed to quite enjoy the bath and also the dryer afterwards-I was worried it would stress them out, but they are very laid back cats!
We dried them both with the hairdryer to make sure they were completely dry and then used the drops.
I sprayed the house again for good measure and checked the cats tonight and the remaining fleas were all dead or dying thank goodness.
I dont want that palaver again in a hurry!

No comments: