Sunday, October 16, 2011

Aberystwyth Holidays

We arrived in Abber yesterday to find the  bright sunshine had followed us there! We quickly unpacked the car--good job we don't have kids to bring with us--there was no room for them....everything bar the kitchen sink is us when we go away! We went for a lovely walk down the seafront---it was really busy with people making the most of the lovely weather!
as usual, lots of photos to use as inspiration when I get home--I have bought along my watercolours for a change-haven't used them in ages-so might have a go with them tomorrow if the weather changes!
One of the nicest war memorials Ive ever seen stands on a hill over looking the sea...
beautiful....

one thing I always do before we go away is to check out places to eat/stay on Trip advisor--one place that came up with great reviews was The Druid Inn just outside Abber---on our way in actually.Sunday dinner to die for most of the reviews said.So We stopped on the way yesterday and booked us in for 1pm today. So just cereal for breakfast for us before heading there for lunch...to be honest its the sort of place you wouldn't stop at when driving by----it looks quite ordinary .....but its a hidden gem.....
waiting patiently for food.....
and boy was it worth waiting for....roast beef,Yorkshires pud and roast potato  and horse radish sauce came out on the plates--followed by 2 huge dishes of veg,carrots,broccoli,cauliflower,cabbage,mash potato,boiled new potatoes and a gravy boat full of delicious gravy...it really was good and loads of it...
how could we resist? Home made bakewell pudding and apple pie .....the bakewell was the best Ive had..though it really was struggle to eat it...at £9.95 each for 2 courses you cant go wrong...and we will be going back there again for sure!
After all that we needed to have a walk and we headed for Borth and we found the loveliest little gallery there along with the artist Eve Smith.  After we got talking and she knew we were from Ludlow she asked if I knew a lady called Kay --it turned out I did --she had been to some of my classes in the past! Isn't it  a small world? Kay used to stay nearby on holiday and used to call in and see Eve... I was able to let Eve know that Kays hubby isn't very well and that was proberly why she hasn't seen her recently!  Eves work is just beautiful--she works in oils and has paintings in every size and colour there--she hasn't got a website yet and so I pointed her in the right direction of Affordable British Art that is run by my dear friend Ros---its an easy to use website that I have many sales off, and I'm sure Ros will be having Eve on board soon....

some more of Eve's work,--I love her use of colour--very dramatic!



this lovely bench has been made by a local man from one piece of cedar....isn't it wonderful?
lots of changes going on in Borth,, a new sea defence is being built there--£13,000,000 is being spent to help protect the beautiful town from the sea.
I love the scenery in the area--we always took the kids there for a holiday when they were little--
I will be painting this scene tomorrow I think..
We went on to Clarach Bay  after Borth and had a little mooch..picked up some drift wood that I will be using in my paintings when I get home.
I love the way the sun is catching the sea on the horizon
Eve's gallery--The Art House--if you are in the area call by and have a look...

No comments: