Saturday, October 20, 2007

Todays Class


Today we had a really laid back class!
Everyone had met in my classes before--
Jack had been once before, Jan was doing her 4th painting and Sharleen was painting her 3rd one.
The painting was a different one to the one advertised, but that is nothing unusual-nothing is set in stone with me, I will chop and change the subjects to fit in with what people want to do!
Sharleen bought along Chip who is seen checking out the subject for the painting today! I think everyone was surprised at the way that the painting evolved today. We started off with a black canvas, added some white acrylic with some various sponges, then we painted in some trees in various colours of white, grey and black.
As soon as we put the linseed oil onto the dryed acrylic you could see it come to life,as soon as the linseed oil hit the canvas it just became more vibrant, the black and white paint took on a totally different look- the original painting had shades of blues,yellows and greens in it. I had decided that I was going to paint mine all green to replace the 'Emerald Wood ''painting that I sold a while ago.
After seeing how my painting had progressed, they all decided that there were some changes they would like to make to their original acrylic paintings-mainly a big branch on their main tree!! We has such a laugh in the class, everyone was ok putting in the background trees but as soon as I mentioned painting BIG trees it all went very quiet and no-one wanted to do it! There was a lot of breath holding going on!!!!
Everyone watched as the painting transformed from black and white to a magical green enchanted scene.
After seeing mine everyone decided to ''go green''
I set the paint out onto the palette and said'' right then whos going first then''--silence for a minute and then Jan-bless her said ''Ok then lets get it bloody over with!!!!!'' it cracked everyone up!!
Earlier in the class after we had to use the sponges to apply the background, we all had lots of weird things appear in the paintings. Sharleen and Jan and myself all had strange faces and some animals in theirs, but Jack beat everyone with his 'witch on a broomstick-complete with moon in background!''
All in all a great day-loads of laughs as usual, Jan came home with us to borrow some of my extensive range of art books, I am always happy to help any of my students in any way I can, and as I have built up quite a collection of various art books in one form or another, I am quite happy for them to use them to practise with at home! I have also told them all to ring me if they are not sure about anything--Id rather they do that than make a major mistake at home and be put off painting for good!!!!
All of the students will be joining the SAA, of which I am a PA-- (professional advisor)
The Society for All Artists --- www.saa.co.uk
is a very informative and helpful site -the bi-monthly magazine is full of helpful hints and tips about painting and the regular catalogue is full of bargains.The joining fee fee is soon recouperated when ordering their paints etc at discounted prices-anyone who is going to paint on a regular basis would be well advised to join this society--everything is P+P free too.



No comments: